- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 tbsp curry paste
- ½ tbsp fresh grated ginger2 tbsp coconut oil + 2 for sauté chicken
- 1 ½ tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- ½ tbsp sambal chili paste
- 1 diced onion
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Fresh lime juice
- Kosher salt- to taste
- 1 chicken breast
- 2 tbsp diced red bell pepper
- Ground coriander
- Black pepper
- 2 cups chicken stock + 1 cup for thinning curry (optional)
For sushi rice spheres (optional)
- 1 cup sushi rice
- 1 ½ cup water
- ½ cup rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 cups vegetable oil- for frying
- Rinse rice until water is clear then place in pot, add water and boil, reduce and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes
- In separate pan, heat together the sugar and vinegar until dissolved.
- Cool down rice and mix in vinegar mixture, add veg oil and coriander
- Wet hands and roll sushi rice into spheres and cool until firm- 10 to 20 minutes
- Heat oil to 350 degrees
- Place rice sphere in hot oil and fry until golden brown, about 1 ½ to 3 minutes.
- Remove from fryer and drain, season with salt and pepper
1. Heat chicken stock over medium high heat, season with salt and pepper
2. Place chicken in stock, reduce heat to medium and poach for 20 minutes,checking periodically -if making veggie, skip this step.
3. Heat oil over medium high heat in pan, add add onion and sauté until translucent, season with salt and pepper , add garlic and ginger and cook for 30 seconds or until fragrant.
4. Add curry paste and cook for 30 seconds to one minute until fragrant. Season with ground coriander
5. Add rice vinegar to deglaze then add coconut milk, reduce heat to medium and simmer, add ¼ to ½ cup chicken stock to thin out the curry
6. Add chili paste, sugar, fish sauce, soy sauce, simmer and taste, adjust seasoning with sugar, soy or lime juice, simmer until thickened. Once thickened and taste is balanced, remove from heat and cover.
7. Remove chicken from stock and allow surface to dry, heat a pan with 2 tbsp oil over medium high heat and sear chicken until brown then flip and finish. Rest the chicken for 5-7 minutes
Slice chicken and serve with curry and rice spheres or jasmine rice, garnish with fresh cilantro