Carbonara, a classic retelling of the bacon ,egg and cheese. Known also as “Coal Miner’s Pasta’ this delicious straightforward pasta dish has been a favorite of mine from the moment I tried my first bite. This recipe is my take on a classic with a twist. I use smoked bacon and Bourbon Barrel Smoked Paprika to give this pasta a strong hit of smoke to cut through the cheese and rich egg. Give this one a go if you love carbonara and smoked foods, I suggest using this pasta as a nice brunch dish or even with small gatherings/dinner parties. You can finish this table side if you use a double boiler and its fascinating to watch the eggs become the sauce!
Smoky Pasta Carbonara
- 1 box Spaghetti or 2 portions of Fresh Pasta
- 3 large eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup Grated Parmesan(shredded works a but doesn’t melt as easy)
- Fresh Ground Black Pepper- To taste
- Smoked Paprika- Bourbon Barrel Foods brand preferred.
- Kosher Salt- To Taste
- ½ lb Thick Cut Hickory Smoked Bacon- Cut up small.
- Cook your dry pasta in salted water and set aside. If using fresh pasta, have water boiling and ready to cook pasta.
- Combine eggs, egg yolks, cheese, salt, pepper and some of the smoked paprika. Whisk until everything is combined and set aside.
- Slowly Cook bacon in a cast iron skillet or medium-large pan over medium-low heat, this will help render the fat and get the bacon nice and crispy.
- Remove bacon from the pan and set pan aside, cook your fresh pasta and remove from the water after 2-2 ½ minutes.
- Place pan back over medium heat and add your pasta. Cook in the bacon fat for 2-3 minutes and remove from the heat.
- Allow pan to cool slightly and add the egg mixture. Make sure pan is not hot enough to scramble the eggs.
- Once the pasta is coated in the egg mixture, add bacon, mix and remove from the pan.
- Serve by garnishing with grated parmesan, more bacon, smoked paprika and fresh ground pepper!
Note: If you are not comfortable cooking the egg mix in a pan, place a metal or heat resistant bowl over a pot of simmering water to make a double boiler, then add the pasta and egg mix to the bowl once its hot. This will help control the heat!