This is a classic for a reason! Delicious and simple, this chicken breast is seasoned with salt, pepper and cayenne before being seared in a cast iron, basted in butter and rosemary before being finished in a flavorful mushroom cream sauce! Give this one a try and serve it over some egg noodles or rice for a comfort dish that just wont quit.
Savory Chicken breasts w/ Mushroom Cream Sauce
Yield: 2-3 Servings
- 2-3 boneless skinless Chicken Breasts
- 5 baby Portobello mushroom-sliced thin
- 8oz Chicken Broth
- 8oz Heavy cream
- 1 small Yellow Onion- Thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp Minced Garlic
- Kosher salt-to taste
- Black pepper-to taste
- Cayenne- To taste
- 2-3 Tbsp Fresh Parsley-Chopped
- 2 tbsp Grapeseed Oil
- Rosemary- 1 sprig fresh
- White wine- ¼ cup dry
- 1-2 tsp Red Chili Flakes
- ½ tbsp Dried Oregano
- 3 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- ¼ cup Shaved Parmesan
- 1 small Lemon-zested(optional)
- In a medium-large cast iron over medium heat, add the grapeseed oil.
- Season chicken breasts with kosher salt, black pepper and cayenne, making sure to coat both sides evenly.
- Once the skillet is hot, place the chicken(round side down) in the skillet and cook for 3-5 minutes or until nicely browned.
- Flip the chicken and add the butter and rosemary. Baste the chicken for another 2-3 minutes and remove the chicken from the skillet.
- Add your garlic to the pan and cook for 15-20 seconds. Add the mushrooms and spread them out evenly in the pan, cook them for about 3-4 minutes or until they have cooked down and gained some color. (spreading the mushrooms evenly around the pan prevents them from steaming and allows them to develop flavor).
- Once the mushrooms are browned and cooked down, add your onions and season with salt and pepper. Cook the onions down until they begin to caramelize, around 3-5 minutes.
- Add your white wine and cook until the wine has evaporated then add the chicken broth.
- Cook down the chicken broth until is begins to appear thicker, then add the cream. Bring this mix to a simmer and season with oregano and pepper flakes. Cook down for another 2 minutes and add 2 tbsp of the parmesan. Mix thoroughly, then add the chicken to the cream sauce.
- Coat the chicken in the sauce and cook for another 2-4 minutes or until the sauce is thick and creamy and your chicken breast reads 165 on your thermometer.
- Finish the chicken with the remaining parmesan, parsley, lemon zest and salt and pepper if needed. Serve over rice or with egg noodles and enjoy!
Note: if you do not have white wine, use white wine vinegar, it will add acidity to the sauce and still taste great!
Made this and it was truly amazing! My husband can’t stop talking about how much he enjoyed the dish! It’s his new favorite! You are so talented! Thank you so much!
Thank you Linda! Glad you Enjoyed it!