This week, the challenge of making vegetarian friendly dishes has been an educational one for sure. Its been a while since I’ve ventured in to this territory but I’m happy I was able to brush back up. These Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian friendly tacos are full of great savory notes, fresh pops of fruit and herbs. Even though the tofu is fried, the tacos are relatively light but three tacos did me in! Hope you enjoy!
Crispy Tofu Tacos
Yield: 2-3 Servings
- 1lb Extra Firm Tofu- Remove as much water from the tofu brick as possible
- 1 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- ¼ Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- · ½ Tbsp Black Pepper
- ½ Tbsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 Tsp Tajin
- · ½ Tbsp Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 Cup Mango Salsa (recipe on the blog)
- 1 ½ to 3 Tbsp of your favorite Spicy Mayo
- 1 Cup Corn Starch
- Fryer oil
- Tajin( for seasoning)
- Old Bay( for tofu seasoning)
- Corn tortillas
- Cilantro or Micro Cilantro
- Cut tofu into long strips and set aside on paper towels
- Combine vinegar, soy sauce, black pepper, smoked paprika, tajin and old bay seasoning. This is your tofu marinade.
- Toss tofu in marinade as set aside for 20-30 minutes . Pour the remaining marinade over the tofu and let marinate.
- Hear fryer oil to 350 degrees
- Dredge tofu in corn starch and set for 2 minutes before frying. Place gently into the frying oil and cook until golden brown. Remove from the oil.
- Place in a pan, on napkins or coffee filters to absorb excess oil. Season with old bay, tajin and smoked paprika.
- Warm tortillas then assemble.
- Place your tofu down on the tortilla, then top with mango salsa, spicy mayo and cilantro then enjoy!