A classic comfort, love it or hate it, Chicken Pot Pie is one of those dishes that you can customize to your liking and make your own. Delicious cream sauce, flaky crust and tender chicken. Those elements come together and create memories or tap into old ones. Check out this recipe and add elements to make your own version for yourself, friends or family!
Yield: 6-8 Servings
- 1-1 ½ lb Shredded Chicken
- ½ cup Carrots-Diced
- ½ cup Peas-optional
- 1 cup Yellow Onion-Diced
- 2 ½ cups Chicken Stock
- ¼ cup All Purpose Flour
- 4oz Unsalted Butter
- 4oz Heavy Cream
- 2oz White Wine
- 1 tsp Cayenne-Optional
- 1 sprig Fresh Rosemary
- 1-10 inch Pie Crust- store bought or homemade
- Kosher Salt- To taste
- Black Pepper- To taste
- Lemon Zest-To taste
- 2 egg Yolks
- Extra ¼ cup Flour for dusting
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- In a small pot, heat the chicken stock with the rosemary and once the stock comes to a boil, remove from the heat and allow to sit for about 10 minutes, this allows the rosemary to infuse into the stock.
- In a cast-iron skillet over medium heat, add the butter. Cook the butter for 2 minutes or until the butter starts to brown. Add in the onions and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Once the onions begin to cook down, add the carrots and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the shredded chicken and mix thoroughly. Then add the flour and coat everything in the pan with flour. Cook for 2 minutes then add the white wine and chicken stock, mix thoroughly.
- Once the pan gravy starts to form, add the heavy cream, and mix. Add peas, cayenne, salt, pepper and lemon zest.
- Once the pot pie base is seasoned as you like, remove from the heat.
- Roll the pie crust to about 12 inches. Place over the pan and tuck in the sides to make the pie crust fit in the pan snug.
- Whisk together the egg yolks with 1 tbsp of water. Brush the top of the crust completely in the egg wash and top with salt.
- Place into the oven for 15 minutes, then lower the oven to 375 for the last 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
Note: You can customize the veggies as you like and get creative with the seasonings! This is a base recipe, you can make this a family favorite!
What size cast iron skillet works best for these ingredients?
This sounds totally yummy! Can’t wait to try it. You were so inspiring on MC!!!