OMG! If you love french toast and bananas foster, this is the best of both worlds. I went to IHOP with some family one day and they had Banana Foster French Toast which I immediately ordered and loved. This is an homage to both my moms french toast and theirs. I hope you love it!
Bourbon Pecan Banana French Toast
Yield: 3-4 Servings
- 3-5 Pieces Thick Cut Brioche
- 2-3 Whole eggs
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 1 tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tbsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Ground Nutmeg
- ½ cup Chopped Pecans
- ½ cup Whiskey
- 2 large Bananas
- 1 stick Unsalted Butter
- ½ cup Brown Sugar
- Pinch of salt.
- In a nonstick pan over medium heat, add the ½ stick butter and once melted, add the pecans.
- Cook for 30 seconds or so then add the brown sugar and bananas. Combine thoroughly.
- Add the vanilla and remove from the heat. Add the whiskey and cook out the alcohol for around 2 minutes and add the nutmeg, ½ tbsp of cinnamon and a pinch of salt.
- Cook until the mix looks like a glaze and remove from the heat.
- in a mixing bowl, add the eggs, heavy cream and remaining cinnamon.
- Place another nonstick pan over medium heat, add the remaining butter and once melted, dip the bread in the mix for 2-3 seconds, allow to drip off and add to the butter, cook until golden brown on both sides( approx.. 2 ½ minutes) and remove from the heat. Repeat with the remaining bread.
- Pour the banana pecan glaze over the toast and enjoy!
It’s what we call in New Orleans Pain perdu. A few minor substitutions, cane sugar for brown, and rum for whiskey. Bananas first came to America through New Orleans.