Nothings better on a 4th of July weekend than, as my friend Cowboy Newton would call it, an adult beverage! One of my favorites has to be the classic mojito! Delicious and cooling mint, muddled with sharp lime juice, sweetened with simple syrup, spiked with white rum, topped off with crisp soda and garnished with a bunch of that fragrant mint and lime. The only thing that could make this beverage even more refreshing is something as synonymous with Summer as the heat, Watermelon! This is such a simple addition with incredibly clean flavor and sharp after notes. Enjoy this classic during your holiday celebration, I know I will!
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Servings: 2 Drinks
- 3 oz Fresh Watermelon Juice
- 5 oz White Rum
- 2-3 medium size pieces of Fresh Watermelon
- 3 oz Simple Syrup
- 2-3 Large Limes-Juiced
- 12-15 Fresh Mint leaves
- Small pinch of salt
- 3 cups of Ice- 1 for mix and 2 for serving
- 4 oz Topo Chico Mineral water or your favorite sparkling water/ Club Soda
- 2 large Chunks of Fresh Watermelon
- 2 large Sprigs of Fresh Mint
- 2 Slices Fresh Lime
- Sugar for rim
- Rim the glass with lime and sugar.
- Combine mint and lime juice and muddle together until fragrant.
- Add watermelon and muddle until broken down, then add the rum
- Add the simple syrup , watermelon juice and salt, stir with spoon until fully mixed.
- Add the ice and cover, shake for 30-45 seconds until fully mixed and cold.
- Add the ice evenly to two cups and pour over the ice in the cups- your cup should be about 3/4 full.
- Top off with Topo Chico, stir gently and add a piece of watermelon and sprig of mint to the glass.
*add some fresh strawberries and substitute strawberry simple syrup to give your drink an even more delicious twist!