Chocolate lovers make up a large portion of dessert lovers across the world. Some prefer their sweet eats to be rich and decadent while some prefer a lighter take to satisfy that nagging sweet tooth. During my events and course meals, my guests are usually 4 courses deep and only have enough room for a small but sweet finish to their dining experience. This is where the chocolate mousse comes into play. Its fluffy, cloud-like texture allows guests to enjoy all the rich and decadent notes of chocolate they know and love while not feeling so weighed down. It is the perfect end to an amazing meal and perfect to please a crowd if you’re entertaining. This recipe is great if you want to make a simple dessert for your dinner parties or even a simple sweet treat for someone you love.
- 2 ½ cup Heavy Cream
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 ½ tbsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate
- 2 tbsp Cocoa powder-for garnish
- ¼ cup Shaved Chocolate-for garnish
pinch of salt
1 tsp Orange Extract-Optional
- Place metal bowl and mixing utensils in freezer
- Heat 1 cup of heavy cream over medium heat, watching and stirring occasionally until hot(steam should start to develop). Remove from heat.
- Place semi-sweet chocolate into bowl and pour cream over chocolate and stir until melted and smooth, set aside
- Remove bowl from freezer and pour remaining heavy cream, vanilla and powdered sugar in bowl and whip until firm-If doing in mixer, set to medium speed and whip until stiff. Taste and add more sugar if not as sweet as you’d like.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold heavy cream into chocolate in thirds until fully incorporated. Place in serving vessels.
- Place in fridge for one hour and remove, garnish with cocoa powder and chocolate shavings.
Note: You can add a few tbsp. of irish cream or whiskey to spice it up or peppermint extract for the holidays!