As Chef Gordon Ramsay said, ” ..Fresh pasta is the passport to amazing Italian dishes”. I definitely agree! Fresh pasta is an amazing thing. It can be flavored,cut and rolled thousands of different ways! Every great pasta starts with two things, flour and eggs! Learning how to combine these two ingredients are the main obstacle when creating pasta. Essentially, when making pasta dough, you are slowly incorporating the flour into the egg to create a pliable substance known as a dough. You then allow that dough to rest , refrigerated, for about 25-30 minutes before running it through a pasta machine and transforming it into whatever shape of pasta your heart desires. I would suggest purchasing a pasta machine and rolling pin before using this recipe, those two pieces of equipment will make your life much easier and cut down the preparation time.
Recipe: serves 2
- 1 1/4 cup flour ( extra for rolling)
- 1 egg
- 2-3 egg yolks
- 2 tsp olive oil
- small pinch of salt
- place flour on counter and make a hole in the middle of the heaped flour
- combine egg, yolk, oil and salt in a separate container and whisk together
- place a fork, prongs up, at the bottom of the well and slowly fill the well with the egg mixture, slowly mixing with the fork in a circular motion until well incorporated.
- flour your hands and begin kneading the dough crumbles until they form a into a dough
- dust with flour and cover with plastic wrap and let sit in the fridge for 25-30 minutes.
- once set, remove from the fridge and roll and cut into your favorite pasta shapes!