I know I know… “It’s not real steak”, ” that’s not a cow”, ” just go cut up a real steak”. Let me tell you, if you haven’t grilled a cauliflower, you are missing out! This recipes is great for the vegans/vegetarians at the bbq, an amazing addition to the carnivore’s plate, or even an savory appetizer in general! The cauliflower loves smoke and direct heat. You will not only have a veggie on the plate, but one that carries incredible flavor at that. Don’t be hesitant, give this a go and message me about what you think, I’d love to hear it. I was skeptical when I first heard of Cauliflower steaks too but its a must! If you want to make this recipe vegan, try substituting the butter for vegan butter like earth balance and the honey with either date syrup or agave nectar!
Grilled Cauliflower Steaks
Yield: 2-3 Portions
- 1 large head of Cauliflower- cut into steaks
- 2-3 tbsp Zatarain’s Blackened seasoning
- 3 tbsp Unsalted Butter ( or Earth Balance if vegan)
- 3 tbsp Honey (Date Syrup or Agave nectar if vegan)
- 1 tbsp Granulated Garlic or Garlic Powder
- ½ Tbsp Black Pepper
- Pinch of Cayenne Pepper
- ½ tbsp Smoked Paprika
- ¼ Cup Vegetable or grapeseed oil
- Preheat Grill to 500 degrees
- Oil the steaks thoroughly on both sides. Mix together all seasoning and season every part of the cauliflower steaks.
- Place steaks on the grill and cook until grill marks appear, roughly 2-3 minutes each side.
- Once the grill marks and slight char appear, flip and baste these steaks with the honey/butter mixture. You may have some flames appear but that okay, just make sure its not too high so the flames don’t burn.
- Once the steaks get tender, remove from the grill and serve!