Southern Lemonade Cake
When I was a kid, I loved when Summertime came around every year. It always meant that we could beat the heat with sweet and tart lemonade. It also meant the 4th of July and my Grandma Val‘s delicious Lemon cake! She makes this cake every year and generally for the holidays so i had to make my own! I promise it‘s grandma approved. This lemonade cake will leave those lemon lovers asking for another slice! Enjoy
Ready in 3 Hours
Serves 8 people
For Cake Mix:
1 stick Unsalted Irish Butter-softened + 1 tbsp for pan
2 ¾ cup All-Purpose Flour-sifted + 2 tbsp for pan
1 ¼ tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Iodized Salt
1 ½ cup Granulated Sugar
2 Large Eggs
3 Egg Yolks
2 tsp Pure Lemon Extract
Zest of 2 lemons
1 ¼ cup Whole Milk
8-10 drops Yellow Food Coloring
For Cake Soak:
2 Large Lemons-Juiced
2 tbsp Granulated Sugar
½ cup Lemon Juice Concentrate
1 tsp Lemon Extract
2 lb Powdered Sugar
1. Preheat Oven to 400°F
2. Coat loaf pan thoroughly with butter then add flour and coat the pan thoroughly.
3. Cream together sugar and butter until fluffy
4. Add eggs one at a time until fully incorporated
5. Add lemon extract and lemon zest to the mixture
6. Add food coloring and mix until fully incorporated
7. In a separate bowl, mix flour, salt, and baking powder together until evenly distributed.
8. Add flour mixture ⅓ at a time, alternating with the milk until fully mixed together and smooth.
9. Add mixture to the loaf pan and place in the middle of the oven rack. Bake for 1 hour to an 1 hour 15 minutes. Check periodically with a toothpick to verify if the cake is fully baked. Remove from oven when fully baked
10. Immediately remove from the pan, mix together the lemon juice and sugar together and coat the cake completely with the soak. Wrap in cling wrap until cool.
11. Combine the ingredients for the glaze and mix until fully combined. (If you prefer to have a thicker glaze, add more powdered sugar until desired consistency is attained.)
12. Unwrap the cooled cake and-starting in the middle of the cake- pour the glaze and move to the edges until all the glaze
13. Place the cake in the refrigerator and chill for 25-30 minutes, remove from the fridge and slice, serve immediately and enjoy!
*add some lemon cello to the cake soak for a nice refreshing kick to your lemonade cake!