Roasted Green Pepper Chili
There's something about a hearty bowl of chili that resonates with so many. Spice, acidity, sweet and savory. The combinations possible in a great pot of chili are seemingly endless. I have had so many memories created over a bowl of chili. Cook this one next time you have a craving, I'm sure you will too. Customize this with some of your favorite veggies and season as you'd like, make it your own!
Roasted Pepper Stout Chili
Yield: About 3 quarts
· 1lb Ground beef (80/20)
· ½ large red onion- diced
· 1 ½ cup Celery- Diced
· 3 tbsp Tomato Paste
· 1 pint Guinness
· 29 oz can tomato Sauce
· 28 oz Crushed tomatoes
· 2 large Poblano- roasted and deseeded
· 1 anaheim pepper- roasted and deseeded
· 1-2 Medium size Jalepenos- roasted and diced
· 2-3 tbsp Minced Garlic
· 10 fl. oz Beef Broth
· 14oz Fire Roasted Tomatoes- Optional
· Kosher Salt- to taste
· Black pepper- to taste
· Ground Cumin- To taste
· Dried oregano- To taste
· Chili Powder- To Taste
· Smoked Paprika- 1 tbsp
· Onion Powder-To Taste
· Garlic Powder-To Taste
1. Season the ground beef with kosher salt, black pepper, smoked paprika,1/2 tbsp Oregano, 1 tbsp Chili Powder, 1 tbsp of onion and garlic powder and ½ tbsp Cumin(you can add more seasonings to the chili while it simmers)
2. In a pot over medium high heat, cook the beef, once its browned, add the onion, garlic and saute for 3-5 minutes or until browned.
3. Add the diced chilis and mix.
4. Add the tomato paste and mix, cook for another 2 minutes.
5. Add the celery, Guinness, beef broth and tomato products. Reduce to medium heat and simmer for around 2 hours, adjust seasonings as you like.
6. Serve with your favorite cheese, sour cream, fresh green onion and cornbread!
Note: if the chili is too acidic, add a bit of brown sugar, it will help balance the flavors.