· 1 lb Russet Potato ( cut into small equal chunks)
· 1 – 1 ½ cups All-purpose Flour
· 2 eggs
· ½ tbsp Kosher Salt
· ½ tbsp Black Pepper
· All purpose flour (for dusting)
For Brown Butter:
· 1 lb Butter
· Fresh sage leaves
· Fresh Black Pepper
1. Bring pot of water to boil with potatoes, add a pinch of salt to the water to season.
2. When potatoes are soft, strain them and allow to dry out.
3. Using a ricer-or a potato masher, mash the potatoes until smooth.
4. Add salt and pepper to the potatoes and incorporate.
5. On a floured surface, place the potato mixture, spread out and coat with flour.
6. Beat the eggs in a small container or bowl. Make a well in the center of the potato mixture and add the eggs. Begin to knead the dough together until it comes together and begins to look smooth.
7. Cut into 5-10 even pieces and form ropes by rolling the dough with your hands.
8. Using a bench knife or chefs knife, cut into small, pillow shapes and set aside
9. For sauce, place butter in small pan and cook on low heat for 10-20 minutes until brown and has a hazelnut aroma.
10. Boil water in separate pot and season with salt, when it comes to a boil, add the gnocchi
11. Cook for 2 1/2 to 4 minutes until the gnocchi float, this is a sign they are cooked.
12. Drain the gnocchi and in a saute pan, add the butter to the pan and add sage, cook until crispy and remove, add gnocchi and cook until crispy.
13. Plate with crispy sage, more brown butter and finish with cheese if desired.