Crispy Mac 'N Cheese Bites
I don't know a person who doesn't appreciate a good bite of mac n cheese! The creamy cheesy goodness speaks to people of all ages and for most, it starts as a childhood favorite. My friend Zach is a mac fanatic so I had to make these for him. The verdict....Delicious! He knocked these off with some ranch. Crispy on the outside, gooey and cheesy on the inside, what more could you ask for? Try 'em out and let me know what you think!
Mac N cheese Bites
Yield: 12+ portions
· 8oz Pasta Shells-Cooked
· 5 cups Whole Milk
· 4oz Unsalted Butter
· 4oz All Purpose Flour
· 10oz Shredded Sharp Cheddar
· 10oz Shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
· Cayenne Pepper- To Taste
· Kosher Salt- To Taste
· Black Pepper- To Taste
· Smoked Paprika- 1-2 tsp
· Garlic Powder- 1 Tbsp
· 1-15 oz can Bread Crumbs
· 2 cups All Purpose Flour- for dredge
· 3-4 Large Eggs- For Dredge
· 1-2 quarts of Frying oil(canola, peanut, vegetable etc.)
1. Place a medium-large saucepot over medium low heat, add milk, heat until warm and set aside.
2. Place large pot over medium heat, add butter and melt. Whisk in flour to make a roux and cook for 2 ½ to 3 minutes.
3. Season the roux with the garlic powder, smoked paprika, salt and pepper.
4. Slowly whisk in the milk, be careful and make sure it doesn’t clump up.
5. Add the cheese one cup at a time until its melted and incorporated fully.
6. Season the cheese sauce with salt, pepper, smoked paprika and cayenne if needed. Once you’re happy with the seasoning, pour your sauce over the pasta shells and mix together.
7. Place in the freezer until nearly frozen, about 45 minutes to 1 hour. If it still seems too loose to scoop, freeze for another 20 minutes.
8. Over a medium heat, place a large pot or cast iron and pour in your oil. Heat to 350 degrees.
9. Remove mac from the freezer and scoop into rounds. Dredge in flour, then egg was and finally bread crumbs.
10.Place in the frying oil and cook for a few minutes until golden brown.
11.Plate up and serve with your favorite condiments! I chose Truff Infused Mayo and Parmesan ranch.