Cherry Limeade Cake
The perfect start to summer! This cake will remind you of your favorite summertime drink. one bite and you’ll be transported to those nostalgic summer moments of sipping on a delicious cherry limeade.
Approx: 3 1/2 hours
1 cup Butter (softened)
2 ½ cup A.P Flour
1 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Salt
1 ½ cup Granulated Sugar
1 Egg Yolk
1 egg white
1 tsp Cherry Extract
1 Cup Milk
Cherry Topping :
12oz pitted black cherries (fresh or frozen)
1 cup sugar
¼ cup cherry juice
¼ cup water
1 tbsp Lime juice
3 fl.oz Fresh lime juice
¼ cup Powdered sugar
2-2 1/2 cups Powdered Sugar
3 tbsp lime juice
1 pinch kosher salt
¼ tsp orange extract
1. Preheat oven to 350°F
2. Cream together butter and sugar until fluffy
3. Add eggs one at a time until fully incorporated, add egg yolk
4. Add extract and mix until incorporated
5. In separate bowl, whip egg white until fluffy
6. In another bowl, mix together flour, salt and baking powder
7. In thirds, add flour mix and milk alternating until fully incorporated
8. Using folding action, fold in whipped egg white
9. Add mix to two buttered and floured loaf pans and place in oven- bake for 25-35 minutes- check periodically as oven temperatures vary
10. In medium saucepan, combine all ingredients for cherry topping and cook until thickened, chill.
11. whisk together glaze ingredients and set aside
12. When cakes come out, mix lime juice and powdered sugar and brush cake with mixture- this adds a nice citrus kick to the cake and retains moisture
13. Chill cake for 1 hour and then glaze with the citrus glaze, refrigerate for an hour or until glaze sets- glaze again if you wish
14. Add chilled cherry topping and serve !
*Add a splash of your favorite tequila to the glaze for a cherry margarita cake!
Garnish with lime zest and citrus whipped cream for an extra kick of flavor !