One of my Fall favorite desserts is the simple yet tasty apple turnover. This sweet pastry combines amazing cooked apple filling with delicious flaky puff pastry topped with a sumptuous glaze that brings together the richness of the filling and the buttery puff pastry. Below are the steps to put together this amazing dessert thats perfect for an after dinner snack or even as a perfect pair to a nice cup of morning coffee.
1 sheet Puff Pastry
· 2 eggs
· 4 tbsp Water
· 5 Fresh Apples(diced) - mix of granny smith and gala
· 2 tbsp Cinnamon
· 1 tsp ground Cloves
· 1 cup Brown sugar
· ½ cup sugar
· 2-3 tbsp Butter
· Pinch of salt
· 2 tsp Cornstarch
· 1 tbsp Vanilla extract
· Granulated sugar for dusting
· 1 pinch Ground Cardamom
· 1 cup powdered sugar
· 1 tbsp Milk
· ½ tsp vanilla extract
· 1 tbsp Bourbon
1. Preheat oven to 400F
2. Combine apples, cinnamon, cloves and salt in a bowl and set aside/
3. Place a pan over medium high heat, add butter and brown sugar and heat.
4. Add 2 tbsp water to the mixture.
5. Add apples to the sugar mixture and coat the apples in the butter sugar mixture and cover with lid.
6. Reduce to medium heat and cook until apples are tender, about 5-7 minutes.
7. Mix cornstarch with 1 tbsp cold water until smooth, add to apples and cook until thickened.
8. Let filling cool for 20 minutes
9. Cut pastry into squares
10. Mix eggs with remaining water to make egg wash
11. Scoop 1-2 tbsp of filling in the middle of the pastry and brush the edges lightly with egg wash.
12. Fold corners to make a triangular shape, pressing the sides together to seal, press with a fork for decoration if you prefer.
13. Using a knife, cut three small slits in the top to vent the filling and prevent too much steam.
14. Brush with egg wash and dust with sugar
15. Place in oven and bake for 15 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.
16. Combine ingredients for glaze and set aside
17. Once pastry is out of the oven, brush with glaze and enjoy!
Share your photos with me on Instagram and let me know how it turns out!